From the list below, choose one topic and identify two specific legal obligations that a specific health service organization has to its patients and then write a paper discussing all the areas listed in the outline following this subject list. Include a cover page and a list of references at the end of the paper. Paper will be double spaced and be approximately 4-5 pages in 12 point New Times Roman font.
Note: Outline: Must use the headings from the outline below in your paper and the paper must be in narrative form not outline or bullet format. A penalty will be deducted from paper if underlined headings not used in your paper.
· Patient Choice & Treatment Consent
· Emergency Care
· Genetic Information & Nondiscrimination
· Failure to Maintain Staffing Ratios
· Privacy & Confidentiality
· Vaccines for Children
· Human Subjects Research Protections
· Opioids (Recovery and Treatment)
· Pregnancy in the Workplace
· Mental Health (Voluntary or Involuntary Care and Treatment of Mentally Ill Persons)
· Patient Safety
· Nicotine Use Among Teens
1. Official Title of the Law or Laws:
State the official title of the federal and/or state law, the statute and section number. Must be either a federal statute or state statute and you must cite both if applicable. Thus if there is both a federal and state law that covers your subject picked then you must cite both. Do not assume that there is just a federal and or state law. In most cases there is both a federal and state law. You must use the laws cited in this section throughout the rest of the paper.
2. Health Care Organization’s Obligations to meet Patients’ Legal Rights:
Describe in detail two specific legal obligations, required by the federal and or state law, that a health care organization owes to its patients. Include the specific law citation that describes the patient’s rights. Use in-text citations for all statistical references.
3. Consequences for Non-Compliance:
First, discuss in general the civil and criminal consequences from either the federal and or state law. List the two legal obligations from the previous section, then discuss two (2) specific consequences from the federal and or state law, one consequence for each legal obligation, for the organizations’ non-compliance. Then for each consequence you must research and discuss one relevant real life case. In other words, you must discuss one (1) consequence for each legal obligation and have one real life researched case for each consequence. See outline below. Cases must be found via the internet or print media or from personal real life experiences. In other words, what would happen if the organization neglected to meet its obligations to its patients? Be specific. Provide the specific Federal and or state law citations to back up your claim of the consequences. Provide link to source of information.
1) Legal obligation 1
· One specific consequence
· One real life case
2) Legal obligation 2
· One specific consequence
· One real life case
4. Health Service Organization Management Actions to meet Legal Obligations for Patients’ Rights:
Describe in detail three (3) specific management actions, within your control as a health care manager that you would institute, to ensure the health care organization complies with its obligations to protect the patients’ rights. Be specific as to each management action you would personally institute and why. No general comments. These actions may include specific uses of technology, procedures, human resource training, and other management tools.
5. Conclusion: Summary of your findings above.
6. Reference List [APA Format]
The paper must be:
· Written in paragraph format using complete sentences and providing support for your statements.
· Be sure and use the underlined headings found in the outline, as listed above, in your paper. Paper must be in narrative format not outline or bullets.
· Include a cover page [not counted as a page] which should have student name and title of your paper [Provide a short name for the legal responsibility the specific health care organization has for one type of patient right in a specific setting ]
· At the end of the paper a list of references [not counted as a page]
· The paper is to be posted in Assignment #1 drop box.
· Must cite to the source for all facts in the text of your paper in APA format.
Example of in-text citation:
(Ernst, & Young, 2020).
Example of source cited on reference page:
Healthcare Financial Management Association (U.S.), Ernst, & Young. (2020). Health care system reform: A provider perspective : survey results. Westchester, Ill.: Healthcare Financial Management Association.
1. Proper Titles for Laws & Legal Obligations
Relevant federal and state statutes are all current and properly titled. The research represents a thorough canvass of the law and secondary sources. Demonstrated high degree of logic and reasoning when discussing the law and connecting to main points regarding two (2) legal obligations.
2. Legal Consequences & Real Life Cases
Student provided extensive original analysis of civil/criminal consequences and legal obligations. Goes substantially beyond points raised in classroom reading and discussions. Student has identified two (2) real life cases that are precedent, seminal, or not previously discussed in the Discussion Boards by the student, other students or the Professor.
3. Management Actions & Conclusion
Student offers original contributions to the discussion of three (3) management actions. Management actions discussed are related to each other in interesting and creative ways with reference to research. Thought provoking or interesting conclusion that ties everything together and furthers the thesis of the paper.