Examine the leadership definitions below (in blue). All definitions are by prominent leadership scholars. There are no right or wrong definitions. Then answer the questions below.
1) Leadership is an influence relationship among leaders and followers who intend real changes that reflect their mutual purposes.
2) Leadership is directing and coordinating the work of group members.
3) Leadership is the process of influencing the activities of an organized group in its effort toward goal setting and goal achievement.
4) Leadership is the art of mobilizing others to want to struggle for shared aspirations.
5) Leadership is the process by which an agent induces a subordinate to behave in a desired manner.
6) Leadership is the engagement of others such that leaders and followers transform each other, raising the level of aspiration and morality for purposes which are mutually beneficial.
1. Tell us your top 2 “favorite” definitions and why? What are the words, phrases, ideas, etc. that make these the top definitions for you.
2. What would you rank as your 2 least “favorite” definitions? Why?
3. Add any additional comments about any of the other 2 definitions that you did not discuss above or general comments about this process of analyzing leadership definitions.