School of Nursing QEP Writing Prompts NUR 1211L (Medical-Surgical Nursing Clinical)
Health promotion is the act of empowering clients to take control over and achieve their optimal level of health. Utilizing the topics listed below and evidence-based practice, you will write a scholarly paper on health promotion including the following:
• Introduction to the topic (select one of the topics below) • Description of the disease process (topic) selected • Implement 4 health promotion measures involved in the prevention and care of
client with the disease process (topic) selected from the textbook, nursing journal articles, and evidence-based practice, including complementary therapies.
• Analyze how health promotion can improve the client’s overall health and avoid complications (include modifiable and non-modifiable factors such as age, gender, ethnicity, and lifestyle). Be sure to compare/contrast what happens to patients if they implement health promotion strategies and what could happen if these activities are not implemented.
• Reflection on what you learned from the assignment and how it will impact your practice in the future
NUR 1211L QEP Topic List:
1. Endocrine Disorders (Diabetes Mellitus) a. Diet, Foot Care, Management of Hypoglycemia, Prevention of Complications
2. Neurological Disorders (Seizures, Cerebrovascular Accident)
a. Preventive Maintenance (i.e. seizure precautions at home, CVA prevention (i.e. smoking cessation, control of lipids, control of hypertension))
3. Gastrointestinal Disorders (Peptic Ulcer Disease, Gastritis, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, Colorectal Cancer)
a. Diet, and Prevention
4. Respiratory Disorders (Asthma, COPD) a. Strategies to reduce acute Asthma and COPD Exacerbations, Immunizations
(Influenza and Pneumococcal), Medication administration (proper use of inhalers), Education of medications
5. Immunological Disorders a. Infection Control
i. Prevention, Antimicrobial therapy and resistance, Hospital and community acquired infections (MRSA, CAP)
b. Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) i. Prevention, Antiviral Regimen, Community Health Education, Referral
Resources (support groups) c. Skin Cancer
i. Primary & Secondary prevention, Tanning beds, Screening, Environmental exposure
d. Lung Cancer i. Smoking Cessation, Cancer screening (warning signs), Smoking cessation,
Environmental exposure, Annual Maintenance (Diagnostic studies)
6. Women’s Health (Cervical Cancer, Breast Cancer, Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) a. Community health education, Prevention, and Annual Exams (Pap Smear,
Mammograms, Self-breast exams)
7. Musculoskeletal Disorders (Bone Fractures, Hip Fractures, Osteomyelitis, Osteoporosis, Gout, Amputations)
a. Fall precautions, Prevention strategies for Osteoporosis, Prevention strategies for Peripheral Vascular Disease, Management of Peripheral Vascular Disease
8. Cardiovascular Disorders
a. Hypertension i. Medication Management (ACE Inhibitors, ARBs), Orthostatic
Hypotension b. Risk Reduction of Cardiovascular disease
i. Weight management, Physical activity, Smoking cessation, Psychological stress, Genetic predisposition, Family history, Comorbidities (Diabetes, Hyperlipidemia)
c. Heart Failure i. Health Maintenance (fluid restriction, daily weight monitoring, when to
call doctor regarding fluid retention), Medication Management and Prevention of complications (Digoxin toxicity, Preventative antibiotics for dental procedures, Injury prevention during use of anticoagulants)
QEP Paper Requirements:
• Your paper must be APA format and at least 750 words not to exceed 1000 words. • Double space your paper and use Times New Roman standard 12-point font. • Proofread your paper, meet with a writing tutor, and present proof of seeing a writing
tutor before submitting your paper to “Turn-it-in.” • A minimum of two (2) references must be used. The two references will include the
required class textbook and at least one outside scholarly source (ex. journal article), and health organization (CDC, ADA). APA format must be used in citing and referencing sources.
NUR1211L – Medical-Surgical Nursing Clinical
Your paper must be in APA 7th ed. format and at least 750 words and not exceed 1000 words. Double-space your paper and use Times New Roman with the standard 12pt font. A minimum of two references must be used. Bold the paragraph titles. Remember that this essay will be written in 3rd person. The reflection is the only section where you can write in 1st person.
Introduce the topic and explain what it is that you will be writing about and its importance.
Description of the disease process (topic) selected (incidence, etiology, and pathophysiology)
Implement 4 health promotion measures involved in the prevention and care of client with the disease process (topic) selected from the textbook, nursing journal articles, and evidence-based practice, including complementary therapies.
Analyze how health promotion can improve the client’s overall health and avoid complications (include modifiable and non-modifiable factors such as age, gender, ethnicity, and lifestyle). Be sure to compare/contrast what happens to patients if they implement the health promotion strategies and what could happen if these activities are not implemented.
Reflect on what you learned from the assignment and how it will impact your practice in the future. What did you learn from the assignment? What new skills can you now apply? What new connections did you make from your class, textbook, research, and experience?