Miami Dade College, West Campus
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS ON W.W. JACOBS’ “THE MONKEY’S PAW”
1. What is the setting of the story? How does it contribute to creating the mood in it?
2. What type of narrative (point of view) does the author use in the story?
3. Who are the main characters?
4. Who was Sergeant-Major Morris?
5. What magical ability does the monkey’s paw possess?
6. What was the spell?
7. What was the first man’s third wish? How might this be an example of foreshadowing?
8. What is Mr. White’s first wish?
9. Why is Herbert presented as frivolous, incredulous young man?
10. How do the Whites get the two hundred pounds?
11. What does Mrs. White realize ten days after Herbert’s burial? What does she want her husband to wish for?
12. How does Mr. White feel about the second wish? What were his fears?
13. What do you suppose was the final wish?
14. What is the theme (main idea) of the story?
15. Why do you think it is difficult to make effective stage/film adaptations of “The Monkey’s Paw”?