CRJS 345 DB
You are recently hired as an intern to the recently promoted police chief in a medium-sized town with a rather modest budget for law enforcement equipment. One of her primary goals is to seek an increase in the budget for those technological items that she feels would help your department’s officers perform their jobs in a more efficient, safe manner. For her request, you recommended the following tools be purchased for the officers:
- Improved body armor
- New and standardized firearms for all officers
- In-car camera systems
- Global positioning system (GPS) technology
- Improvements in computer technology
- Biometric software
Because you know that this is a wish list and you will only get funding for some of the items on this list, she decides to submit a written request to city council and the mayor. She wants you to draft the correspondence. In this correspondence, you decide to respond to the following issues to support the request:
- Rank, describe, and discuss the 3 items that you would select as the most important to purchase right away, and share with your fellow students and professor why you selected these items.
- What types of outside statistical data or research support information are available to present to council and the mayor to support your decision?
- If you had to remove 2 items from your wish list, which of those 2 items would you recommend, and why (other than lack of budgetary dollars)?